Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Hole in our Back Yard

Well, Rachel has extended rights for me to contribute to the family blog now, so I thought I'd add something.

I've been digging this hole in our back yard since the beginning of the summer. I've wanted to put a root cellar underneath the the new shed I wanted to build in the north corner of the yard so that I could pull down the existing shed on the south side of the yard and use the land for a garden plot (It's the only place in the back yard where the sun shines all day long).

Now five months later, I've only gotten down about 3 or 4 feet deep and not even all the way across. I finally asked for help in Priesthood open exercises at church thinking I could get a few extra bodies to help me on a Saturday morning or something. A neighbor come up to me afterwards and offer to come over with his back hoe and help finish the remainder of the hole.

He came over tonight and made light work of the project in about 3 hours' time. We got about 3/4 of the space cleared out and a huge mound of dirt in our back yard! We'll probably finish the remainder of the hole tomorrow or Saturday. Rachel's very excited as she's set us on time line to get the house expanded and this is the first step in getting there.

1 comment:

Cathy Leavitt said...

Brent, you always did manage to do things the hard way :) You take after your father...sometimes all you need to do is ask...