Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Emma's baptism

There have been a lot of mileposts along this road of parenthood. First food, first word, first day of school, but this has been by the far one of the most important ones. One of the things that meant a lot to me was family coming. I appreciate those who sacrificed time, and money to come be with us on this day.

As Emma came out of the water and I was able to be there for her to help her dry off and get dressed, I realized how nice that was. For one brief moment it flickered through my mind, that this would be the only time I would be able to experience that, but I brushed it away...I didn't want to be filled with regret. I wanted to enjoy the time I had to be with my daughter as she came up ready to begin something new.

I also thought of how up to this point, I was the one with all the answers for her. She came to me when she had questions. Now, I am beginning the process of turning the gift that was loaned to me back to God, for that is who she must learn to turn to now. I won't always be here, I definitely won't have the answers, but He will. So, I begin my new role with her(as more of a guide and teacher rather than the director:)) as she begins her new role with her Heavenly Father(as she learns to listen to the promptings of the spirit).

I know she is still young, but she is just now beginning to become the person that her Heavenly Father wants her to become and I feel so blessed to be a part of that. I find joy in the fact that she choose to be baptized and wants to work to come to know him and his plan for her more fully.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Very inspiring Rachel. So sad we didn't make it out. We love you guys and are so proud of Emma.